In March every year the entire travel industry cries “Berlin, here we come” and they did so again this year on the 7th – 11th February 2012. This was because ITB, the world’s leading travel and tourism exhibition, took place for the 46th time in Germany’s capital. Over 110,000 visitors and 10,000 exhibitors from 187 countries gathered to soak up some knowledge – and the affilinet travel team were involved in the action.
Each year ITB select a partner country and this year it was Egypt. An entire exhibition hall was decked out in the theme – with real time interaction through a wide variety of social media platforms, networking with internet users in Egypt and live streaming from the holiday destinations. This futuristic approach proved quite a spectacle!
ITB was like a travelers dream – we had lots of meetings planned and didn’t waste any time. We used the exhibition as an opportunity to get together with publishers and advertisers in the space, such as our exclusive partners Deutsche Bahn and Thomas Cook Group. As well as catching up with familiar faces, we also made a lot of new contacts and were exposed to all about the latest trends and innovations in the industry.
Key trends identified at ITB:
- The increasing importance of API feeds
- The markable move away from all inclusive holidays to combination flight+hotel bookings
- Price parity in the hotel sector
- Social affiliate programs in the travel sector
Anticipating the pure scale of the event we brought along some support in the way of some kick scooters to help us on our way 😉 Our advertisers and publishers were also taken with them…
ITB really is one of the most colourful events in the travel calendar and a must for everyone in the travel sector. We look forward to next year – although perhaps we will book a holiday to recover from the next one 🙂
Latest posts by Sophie Parry-Billings (see all)
- Success at the Performance Marketing Awards – 26 April 2017
- Three Fifths of Marketing Students Graduate With No Knowledge Of Affiliate Strategies – 19 April 2017
- affilinet Pub Quiz…the round up – 10 April 2017